How to Get the Cheapest Renters Insurance Rate Quote
Renters insurance isn't all that expensive to begin with, but why spend more than you have to? Here's how to get the cheapest renters insurance rate quote.
1. Increase you deductible. the deductible is the amount of money you pay toward a claim before your insurance company will pay. By increasing your renters insurance deductible you can save up to 40% on your premium. Increasing your deductible has the added benefit of preventing you from making too many small claims which can cause an insurance company to cancel your policy.
2. Consolidate your policies. Some companies will give you up to 15% off your auto and renters insurance if you place both of these policies with them. You'll also have only one company to deal with instead of two.
3. Install safety devices. Insurance companies give good-sized discounts for having safety devices like smoke detectors, fire alarms, and fire extinguishers installed in your home. In addition, this will give you peace of mind knowing that your protected from fires.
4. Install security devices. You can get discounts for installing security devices like dead-bolt locks, burglar alarms, and window locks. This, too, will give you added peace of mind.
5. Quit smoking. Most insurers give discounts for keeping a smoke-free home. Quitting smoking will not only increase your health, it will add to your life expectancy.
6. Check your credit rating. Some insurance companies are now using credit ratings to rate policies. If you don't have good credit you can either improve it or you can find a company that doesn't use credit checks.
7. Ask about discounts. Renters insurance companies give discounts for being a senior, for being in law enforcement, for being in the military, for belonging to a credit union, and for a whole host of other reasons. Before you purchase a renters insurance policy make sure you ask about all the discounts that are available to you.
8. Comparison shop. This is far and away the best way to get the cheapest renters insurance rate quote. Renters insurance can vary by hundreds of dollars from one company to the next. By shopping rate quotes and choosing the cheapest one you can save that money - $200 a year over 10 years is $2,000 you could save just by spending a few minutes online comparing rates.